Friday, January 29, 2010

Trait Expression


This week I have been following a blog titled, "Heart to Heart with Holley" It has been such a blessing and I wanted to share some concepts with you here that Holley has shared on her blog. She writes, "Stephen Covey once said, "When you pick up a stick, you get both ends." In our stories, a "stick" might look like...

Trait Stick

Anxiety...............Sensitivity.....................Compassion

Sensitivity in itself is a neutral personality trait. On our own it can lead us toward worry (negative). With Jesus it can lead us toward compassion (positive)." (Heart to Heart with Holley)

This makes so much sense. When I was young, I was fainthearted. I passed out three different times when visiting friends who had been admitted to the hospital. The sight of IVs in people's arms and the hearing of the accidents that placed them in their hospital bed just made me queezy and faint and I would find myself smelling a strange mixture under the bright lights of the ER. Who would have thought that I could ever work in a hospital?

But, God turned my life so that I did that very thing. When I was completing my undergraduate degree in psychology, I did my internship as a hospital chaplain. When I started, I asked God to give me His compassion and He answered that prayer. I found myself not only visiting patients and hearing their stories, but also holding their hands while the nurses threaded IVs and did other procedures that caused patient anxiety.

In our DNA we all have traits that are expressed and genes that are recessive. It makes sense that the same would be true of behavioral traits. Notice on Holley's model above that the trait on the one end is a trait that is expressed when one is focused on self and the one on the other end the same trait is expressed another way when the focus is on Christ or others.

All of us have one thing that we have absolute control over and that is what we give our attention to. What we choose to focus on can make all the difference. This week I have been teaching my fifteen-year-old son how to drive. We have talked a lot about focus because drivers tend to drive or drift toward what they focus on. This is why it is so important in night driving to watch that white line when passing other vehicles.

If we focus on Christ, we will continually stear towards Him and the behavioral traits that we express will be those that communicate Him to the world.

14 comments:

  1. Wanted to stop in and say hi - as it seems we are traveling companions on this journey/challenge. Great post here. I'm looking forward to learning more as it relates to "The Rest of Your Story" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what you said: "we have absolute control over and that is what we give our attention to." So if I look into the headlights of oncoming traffic...? I don't wanta go there. But I do wanta look into the perfect Light! Thanks for sharing. I'll be 'seeing' ya in our 21 day journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cindy Lou, I think you got it just right when you pointed out the difference between focusing on self vs. others and how it relates to where we drift. Wow. That seems so totally obvious now that you pointed it out! :) Thank you!

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! Thank you for stopping by my blog, and for your encouraging words! I too LOVE Anne of Green Gables! =) I look forward to traveling this journey with you! You have a lovely blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so nice to meet you Cindy Lou. I have really enjoyed your post - such wonderful thoughts.
    It is the choices we make that have such profound affects on our lives. As you've said - what we focus on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for all of your comments. My prayer is that you will be drawn closer to Jesus as you focus on Him.

    Cindy Lou

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay, I didn't read your post till now & it has made me feel like I'm on the right track. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Cindy Lou, thanks so much for linking up with us! I love how you said it, that we drift toward what we focus on. Those words really resonated with me. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cindy Lou, you are exactly the person I want to see when I'm in the hospital! (:
    What a blessing you are to your patients.

    You know, I've asked God for compassion...but I've never asked Him for His. Think I will. Thank you. Thank you.

    Grace,
    Suzanne
    "Manna for the Journey"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Suzanne,

    I am not working as a hospital chaplain anymore! It was a wonderful experience! God will give you His compassion. I am praying for you that He will. Looking forward to getting to know you better.

    Cindy Lou

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the visual of the white lines on the road. Your thoughts are beautiful. Thank you for sharing in the journey.

    Love,
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post, Cindy! Your message is especially relevant to me right now - when I feel my attention fragmented and when life in general feels a little chaotic. It's important for me to remember that I do choose what to pay attention to! I can and should make better choices about how I prioritize.

    Love that you're doing a blog. Maybe we should mention it in the newsletter?

    Becky De Oliveira

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Becky!

    I really appreciate your checking this out. I guess I wouldn't be the one to ask if it was suitable for the newsletter of the Leadership Department. (smiles) I'd be honored if you did put it in.

    Thank you,

    Cindy Lou

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. I feel very much in God's 'sunshine' and know that my healing has come a long way.
    Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete